Last updated on 9.11.2023
After a few flops, this is the first successful attempt to make yeasted gluten free bread. And it turned out quite well. So far the closest to rye in texture and flavor. No extra ingredients, just flour(s), yeast, sugar, vinegar, oil, salt, caraway and water.
This recipe is for one ca 815 g loaf of bread containing 2132 calories.
Artisan Yeasted Bread (gluten free, dairy free, low FODMAP)
- 1 stand mixer
- 1 20 cm round baking dish
- 200 g plain white flour Doves Farm
- 100 g brown bread flour Doves Farm
- 50 g buckwheat flour
- 30 g quinoa flour
- 30 g millet flour
- 60 g tapioca starch
- 10 g psyllium husks
- 2 tsp xanthan gum
- 2 tsp salt
- 4 tsp quick yeast
- 1 tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp caraway seeds
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ~26 tbsp warm water
- In a bowl of your stand mixer whisk together all the dry ingredients until thoroughly blended.200 g plain white flour, 100 g brown bread flour, 50 g buckwheat flour, 30 g quinoa flour, 30 g millet flour, 60 g tapioca starch, 10 g psyllium husks, 2 tsp xanthan gum, 2 tsp salt, 4 tsp quick yeast, 1 tbsp sugar, ½ tsp caraway seeds
- Change to batter attachment, turn to medium speed and add oil and vinegar.3 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Start adding water, one tablespoon at a time, until the dough is very wet, but not muddy. Approx. 26 tbsp.~26 tbsp warm water
- Let it mix for 8-10 minutes, until the dough is pulling off the sides of the bowl and forming “strings”.
- Transfer to an oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let it rise in a fairly warm place for 50 minutes.
- About 30 minutes in, start preheating the oven to 220C (fan). Put a baking tray to the bottom of the oven for water and the rack in the middle/low. Prepare a 20 cm round baking dish and a square of parchment paper that will surround the bread in the dish.
- When the dough has doubled in size, flip it onto the parchment paper and using oiled hands gently smoothen the surface. Transfer the parchment paper with the dough in the baking dish.
- Fill 1 ½ cups of hot water in the baking tray in the oven, then put the bread dough in and bake for 15 minutes.
- Lower the temperature to 190C (fan) and bake for another 45 minutes.
- The bread should be dark brown and sound hollow when tapped on the bottom. Let it cool down completely (about 1 ½ hours) before slicing.