Last updated on 12.11.2023
Did the noodles drink all your tequila? Make them into this uniquely flavored dish.
Drunken Noodles, known as “Pad Kee Mao” in Thai, is a popular and flavorful Thai stir-fried noodle dish. Despite its name, the dish does not typically contain any alcohol. The origin of the name is uncertain, but it’s believed to be associated with the idea that the spicy flavors of the dish are a perfect cure for a hangover.
This recipe is for 4 servings. One serving contains about 538 kcal (46 g protein, 60 g carbs, 8 g fat).
Drunken Noodles (gluten free, dairy free, low FODMAP)
- ¼ cup tequilla
- 7 tbsp tamari
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp brown sugar 13 g
- 640 g chicken breast sliced thinly against the grain
- 14 g butter
- ½ tbsp toasted sesame oil
- ½ tbsp garlic infused oil
- 1 green pepper 150 g, thinly sliced
- 1 bird eye chilli – finely chopped
- 260 g pad-thai noodles
- 2 small tomatoes 100 g, cut to wedges
- thai basil roughly chopped
- ground black pepper
- Mix all the sauce ingredients.¼ cup tequilla, 7 tbsp tamari, 1 tsp fish sauce, 1 tbsp brown sugar
- Cook noodles according to instructions (ca 3 mins). Rinse under plenty cold water.260 g pad-thai noodles
- Sautee chillies in butter and oil.14 g butter, ½ tbsp toasted sesame oil, ½ tbsp garlic infused oil, 1 bird eye chilli – finely chopped
- Add chicken and black pepper and sautee until chicken is slightly browned.640 g chicken breast, ground black pepper
- Add the green pepper and sautee until softened a little.1 green pepper
- Add the sauce and cook for a couple of minutes, until the sauce has slightly reduced.
- Add noodles and tomatoes and combine.2 small tomatoes
- Mix in thai basil.thai basil