Last updated on 7.11.2023
The traditional Italian risotto is quite basic, typically consisting of just rice and mushrooms. This results in a perfectly fine risotto that’s creamy and flavorful. However, I enjoy adding a variety of additional ingredients, which I alternate from time to time. Making risotto does require some patience, as you need to keep a close eye on the rice and stir it continuously. But the end result is definitely worth the effort.
The recipe is for 4 meal-size servings. Each serving (without butter) contains about 464 kcal (10 g protein, 68 g carbs, 14 g fat, 3 g fiber).
Italian Style Mushroom and Green Beans Risotto (gluten free, dairy free)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 250 g chestnut mushrooms or portobello thinly sliced
- 2 shallots diced
- 200 g fine green beans cut to thirds
- 300 g Arborio rice 1.5 cups
- 125 mL dry white wine 1/2 cup
- 1.5 L chicken broth 6 cups
- 100 g baby spinach roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp finely chopped chives optional
- 2 tbsp butter optional
- salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Warm olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir in the mushrooms, and cook until soft, about 3 minutes.3 tbsp olive oil, 250 g chestnut mushrooms or portobello
- Stir in the shallots and green beans. Cook 1 minute.2 shallots, 200 g fine green beans
- Add rice, stirring to coat with oil, about 2 minutes.300 g Arborio rice
- When the rice has taken on a pale, golden color, pour in wine, stirring constantly until the wine is fully absorbed.125 mL dry white wine
- Add 1/2 cup broth to the rice, and stir until the broth is absorbed.1.5 L chicken broth
- Continue adding broth 1/2 cup at a time, stirring continuously, until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is al dente, about 15 minutes.
- After cooking for about 10 minutes start tasting the rice every one minute so you don’t overcook it. It should not be crunchy but still firm and nutty. You probably won’t use all the broth, that’s ok.
- Stir in the spinach and incorporate well until the leaves are wilted and soft, about a minute.100 g baby spinach
- Remove from heat, and stir in the butter and chives. Season with salt and pepper to taste.salt to taste, 3 tbsp finely chopped chives, 2 tbsp butter, freshly ground black pepper to taste
- You can experiment with other ingredients, like chicken, butternut squash, etc.