Last updated on 9.11.2023
It tastes like heaven and it’s light as a cloud. It literally just melts in your mouth. Angel food cake is traditionally made in a ring tin, but we make it in a loaf pan, since we usually tear it apart and use it as a base for other recipes (trifle, tiramisu) anyway. Of course any leftovers are amazing with fresh berries 🍓 and whipped cream, ice cream 🍦 or even just plain.
Tip: Practice your vigorous whipping and your careful folding for the ultimate fluffiness.
This recipe is for a 340 g loaf. The whole loaf is ca 1000 kcal.
Angel Food Cake (gluten free, dairy free, low FODMAP)
- 1 small loaf pan
- 5 egg whites 196 g – room temp.
- 80 g GF flour rice based
- 20 g cornstarch
- 65 g powder sugar
- 70 g granulated sugar
- ¾ tsp cream of tartar
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ½ tbsp vanilla extract
- ⅛ tsp almond extract
- Whisk together flour, cornstarch and powdered sugar until smooth.80 g GF flour, 20 g cornstarch, 65 g powder sugar
- Process the granulated sugar to make it slightly finer. Set aside.70 g granulated sugar
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs until they start to foam. Add cream of tartar, salt, vanilla and almond extract and continue whisking until frothy.5 egg whites, ¾ tsp cream of tartar, ⅛ tsp salt, ½ tbsp vanilla extract, ⅛ tsp almond extract
- Gradually add granulated sugar until stiff peaks form.
- Very gently fold in the dry ingredients. The less air you knock out, the fluffier the cake will be.
- Bake in an ungreased small loaf pan on 175C (fan) for 35 minutes.
- Immediately invert the pan upside down and let cool completely.