Last updated on 7.11.2023
Gluten free challah that is soft and buttery enough to be enjoyed plain.
This recipe is for one small loaf.
You’ll need a challah form. The gluten free batter is too liquid to plaid.
Challah Bread (gluten free, low FODMAP, lactose free)
- 1 challah form
- 1 tbsp instant yeast
- ¾ cup warm water
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 56 g butter melted
- ¾ tsp salt
- 3 large eggs
- 170 g gluten free flour rice based
- ½ tsp xanthan gum skip if your blend already contains it
- 1 egg white for brushing
- In medium-large bowl, dissolve the yeast in water and 1 tsp sugar. Let it puff up for 5 minutes.1 tbsp instant yeast, ¾ cup warm water, 1 tsp sugar
- Add the remaining 1 tbsp sugar, butter, salt and eggs and beat together.1 tbsp sugar, 56 g butter, ¾ tsp salt, 3 large eggs
- Add flour and xanthan gum and beat thoroughly until the batter is liquid and smooth.170 g gluten free flour, ½ tsp xanthan gum
- Grease a challah form and fill 3/4 with the batter. The batter will rise significantly and can overflow the form.
- Let proof for 45 minutes.
- Bake on 180C (fan) for 35 minutes. Then turn it out onto a baking tray, brush with egg white and bake for additional 15 minutes until golden brown.1 egg white