Last updated on 7.11.2023
A variation to the classic Chinese-American dish. Sweet and sour, with a bit of a kick and nice caramelised orange flavor.
This recipe is for 4 serving. Each serving (without rice) contains about 387 kcal (43 g protein, 35 g carbs, 9 g fat). Add 231 extra calories for 70 g serving of rice.
Juice from 3 oranges (ca 200 ml)
1/3 cup (80 g) sugar
2 tbsp rice vinegar
2 tbsp tamari
1 tsp ginger paste
1/2 tsp crushed chilli flakes
1 tbsp cornstarch
1 tbsp water
1 tbsp orange zest (from fore-mentioned oranges)
650 g chicken breast – diced or sliced
2 tbsp gluten-free flour
1 tbsp garlic infused oil
1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
20 g scallions – green parts only – sliced
1 broccoli – florets only
280 g jasmine rice (70 g per serving)
- Mix orange juice, sugar, vinegar, tamari, ginger and chillies and bring to boil in a small pot.
- In a small bowl combine starch and water, dissolve any clumps. Add to the glaze mixture. Mix well and let it thicken, stirring constantly to prevent it from burning.
- Add the orange zest, stir and set the glaze aside.
- Make rice. If you’re planning to have leftovers, consider making fresh rice the next day.
- Cut broccoli florets into small pieces and steam briefly, about 2 minutes. Set aside and let cool down.
- Mix chicken with egg and flour. Fry in garlic oil until golden.
Add sesame, scallions, steamed broccoli and glaze and combine well.