This recipe is for six 10 cm quiches. Each quiche contains about 322 kcal (12 g protein, 21 g carbs, 21 g fat).
6 g caster sugar
113 g gluten free flour
1 tsp xanthan gum (skip if your blend already contains it)
pinch of salt
37 g butter (cold, cubed)
37 g cookeen (cold, cubed)
1 medium egg
3/4 tsp water
200 g diced squash
1 large bell pepper (diced)
1 tsp fresh thyme – finely chopped
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp olive oil
1/2 tsp garlic infused oil
1/4 tsp salt
150 g fresh spinach – chopped, or chopped frozen spinach
3 rosemary stalks – chopped and toasted
4 egg whites
100 g shredded cheddar (lactose free)
2 tbsp whole milk (lactose free)
- Add sugar, flour, gum and salt into a bowl and mix well.
- Add cold butter and cookeen cubes. Toss/coat with the flour mixture.
- Using your hands work the butter/cookeen into the flour to create a crumbly mixture.
- In a separate bowl whisk together egg and water. Add to the flour and mix until solid non-sticky dough is formed.
- Wrap it in cling foil and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- You can roast the vegetables for the filling in the meantime.
- When the dough is ready, roll it very thin (1 mm) between two pieces of cling foil. You should get enough area to divide it into 6 small tart tins.
- Cut the dough into 6 equal parts and carefully transfer each into one tin.
- Using your fingers, gently press the dough into the tin. Use cut-offs to make up for missing pieces. The layer should be thin but without tears, otherwise the custard will leak through. Trim the top so the edge of the crust is aligned with the edge of the tin.
- Place the tins in a freezer, until ready to bake.
- Toss the squash and bell pepper with oils, thyme, balsamic and salt.
- Spread evenly on a baking tray and roast 40 minutes on 170C (fan). Shuffle half way through.
- Place the spinach into a non-stick pan and dry (defrost if you’re using frozen) it on low heat until most of the water has evaporated. Make sure it doesn’t stick to the pan though.
- When everything is ready for assembling, in a medium/large bowl briefly whisk the eggs and milk.
- Add all remaining ingredients, including the spinach, roasted peppers and squash, when they cool down slightly. Incorporate everything together.
- Blind bake the quiche crust with baking beans on 190C (fan) for 8 minutes, then another 5 minutes without the weights.
- Lower the temperature to 175C.
- Distribute the filling evenly (both solid and liquid part) between the pre-baked pie crusts. Make sure you don’t overspill it.
- Bake on 175C (fan) for 20 minutes.